Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Where has all the Empathy Gone?

Husband and I had to stand on the bus from Cavite to Makati this morning. We had no choice since all the buses going to Makati were jam-packed. After thirty minutes of standing up, I had to ask husband’s shoulder as I need to nap. After fifteen minutes of feeling my stiffing limbs I straighten up my body once again only to feel my aching ankle. After an hour, I felt dizzy. I need to puke. But I was able to control the urge and went down few stops before my usual end route.

I am 16 weeks pregnant and no one offered a seat. There were lovers in front of me, who slept as soon as I stand up on their side and a lot of able men and women on their front seat and at the back. In fact, the bus population that time has a lot of MEN. But no one dared to give up their seat.

I would not, I swear to God. And this is not bragging. I have never tried doing that in my whole life time. If there’s an elderly or a pregnant woman or a less able to stand up individual in front of me, I would ask husband to offer his seat or I would stand up and take her place. That’s what was taught of me by my parents and teachers – and that’s what my conscience dictates.

I cried when I reach my work. I didn’t cry because no one offered a seat. I cried because along with the advancement of civilization and the fast paced progress of modern technology, goes the changing norms of people caring for people. Here goes the ‘I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOU ANYMORE!!!!’

9 comments:

fedhz Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:09:00 PM  

masanay ka na teh. ako naman nagugulat pag may mabait. sobrang jaded lang siguro. tipong iisipin ko pa, anong kapalit?

Mylene Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:53:00 PM  

sana ako yung isa sa mga nakaupo dahil hindi ako mag aatubili na ibigay ang upuan ko sayo.

Kahit nung ako ang nagdadalang tao din, pag may matanda na mas kailangan umupo ibinibigay ko lalo pag walang tunay na "LALAKI" na kayang tumayo. Ganyan na kalampa ang karamihan ng mga alaki ngayon, hindi na kayang tumayo para sa mga babae. Paubos na ang kabalyero :D

Umma Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:29:00 PM  

That's the bitter truth these days mareng Niks..Sad to say but this kind of well-bred social behavior no longer in existence, thus only left us crestfallen, particularly if you are a pregnant woman or a senior citizen.

At least, instilling this behavioral attribute to our children is the best thing we could do as parents.

Umma Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:29:00 PM  

That's the bitter truth these days mareng Niks..Sad to say but this kind of well-bred social behavior no longer in existence, thus only left us crestfallen particularly if you are a pregnant woman or a senior citizen.

At least, instilling this behavioral attribute to our children is the best thing we could do as parents.

OSeƱorita Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:40:00 AM  

I guess, "gentlemen" are on the bridge of extinction. There are so few of them around. And it's just so sad that when you needed one, there is none one around.

Clarissa Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:56:00 PM  

Dito sa Japan dear hinde uso ang gentlemen,bilang na lang talaga ang taong magpapaupo sa yo dito.

amiable amy Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:15:00 AM  

hay naku! talagang ganyan na ang panahon ngayon....lalo na dito ... anyway, congrats Niko girl...ingat always...daan lang ako ha

Clarissa Friday, July 01, 2011 10:02:00 PM  

Dropping by to say Hi,Niko pot!

Have a nice weekend!

ps:salamat sa flooding of comments sa Kizuna ko!Napa smile aketch^_^

Yami Monday, July 04, 2011 11:56:00 AM  

Di na talaga uso gentleman ngayon mare. naranasan ko rin yan nung buntis ako. nakaka-sad lang talaga.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Tranquility' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP