Tuesday, July 07, 2009

An article that made me cried today.

I cried. Tears of joy and overflowing gratitude to the place I called my home.

I am always proud to say that I came from the Sisters of Mary School, I was nurtured and loved for four years on that four walls by the nuns who loved me as if their own. I will never be where I am now if not because of that saintly priest Father Al, who founded that institution in 1985 for the poorest of the poor, whom I would forever hold dear in my grateful heart.

I am in tears as of writing. But you can’t blame me. As ecstatic as I was reading this very touching article of the school where I came from, it brought me back to those four years I called the Sisters of Mary School my HOME.

I am proud to say – I was one of those girls!

The day they sang ‘God Bless America’
By Chelo Banal-Formoso
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 21:05:00 07/05/2009

FROM the where the guests have been invited to stand, one can see the perfect lines formed by the girls, perhaps over 3,000 of them. Only discipline can make lines like these.

And then – their voices strong, their hand movements synchronized, looking like they are lit from within – they sing. God bless America, land that I love. Stand beside her and guide her, through the night with the light from above. From the mountains to the prairies, to the ocean white with foam, God bless America, my home sweet home.

A choreography of emotions and amazing grace, the rendition moves Kristie Anne Kenney to tears. Even the non-Americans among the guests are misty-eyed.

The girls are all in uniforms of blue and white. Marian colors. In this live-in high school founded in 1985 by Msgr. Aloysius Schwartz, reading is highly valued, but so is moral and spiritual formation. The girls are taught to live a life of simplicity, charity, gratitude and joy. Marian virtues.

None of these kids is holding an iPod or a Sony Ericsson phone or any such cool gadget for teens these days. That’s because these girls, and their fellow scholars at SOM Boystown (not to be confused with the facility for juvenile delinquents), come from dirt-poor families of Luzon and Palawan (Visayas and Mindanao are served by the SOM schools in Cebu).

At Girlstown and Boystown, they are given free education, room and board, medical and dental services, not to mention heaps of hope.

Read the whole article here

11 comments:

Gracia Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:19:00 PM  

wow ate nikz! Philippine Daily Inquirer always post articles about our school. Am proud too...I am actually teary-eyed upon reading this. Sana maging saint na si Fr. Al noh?

Clarissa Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:50:00 PM  

Good to know that you came from Sisters of Mary School--A proud Marian!!!Wished to hear them sang,too!!

pinoywebdev Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:26:00 PM  

Thanks to the donors and benefactors for helping Fr. Al and the sisters build such a wonderful place -- the Sisters of Mary School.

ruben rallos Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:33:00 PM  

A hidden paradise on earth!
God bless the Sisters of Mary School.
We love you so much.

admin Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:25:00 PM  

thanks for sharing this article, it truly brings back memories... proud to be one of the SOM graduates..

sheng Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:56:00 PM  

Little Heaven on Earth...love being one of the graduates...

~euo~ Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:28:00 PM  

just blogged about it also.

http://tinyshed.net

Tetcha Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:01:00 PM  

You have every reason to be proud of where you came from.

ghieGANDA Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:12:00 PM  

halu halu halu mommy niks!! welcome back to me! is this for good? naku d ko alam! namiss ko ang blogosphere i swear! musta nmn dito? how's the business going? hehehe..

i missed everyone. thanks for your visits ha? muah muah muah!!

amiable amy Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:02:00 AM  

Thanks for sharing this info Niko Girl. Marian ka pala ha kaya pala mabait ka. Stay sweet my friend.

pehpot Thursday, July 09, 2009 5:36:00 AM  

Napaka breath taking naman ng description.. and yeah it was heart warming too..

nakakaiyak nga, kaso wala ako sa cry baby personality ko ngayon, ako'y dakilang ngarag!

Make or Break

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Tranquility' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP